Whether it’s his role on the Howard Stern show, behind the kit in Charred Walls of the Damned, or his comedy rock opera cartoon Majestic Loincloth, Richard Christy is a busy man. He’s also a man that likes to drink, so in lieu of a list of the music he listened to this year, he provided us with a list of the top 10 favorite beers of 2014.
If you’re in the New York area, he’ll be hosting a screening of Majestic Loincloth as well as the concert film Black and Blue, which features Ronnie James Dio-era Black Sabbath and Blue Oyster Cult from 1980 in 35mm at the Nitehawk Cinema tomorrow (16) at 7:15. Tickets for that can be purchased here.
(In no particular order) (It’s impossible to pair it down to 10, so I’m SORRY for any of the other 400 beers I love that I didn’t get to mention here!)
10) Southern Tier Rum Barrel Aged Pumking – My favorite beer just got even “favoriter”, the rummiest beer ever, it’s like doing a shot of rum and pumpkin pie at the same time!
9) Other Half IPA – A new Brooklyn brewery that makes delicious beers, my wife and I had their IPA at a beer fest in Brooklyn in October and we were totally blown away!
8) Hardywood Gingerbread Stout – Thanks to being introduced to this beer by my buddy and legendary drummer Dave Witte, this is now one of my all time favorite Christmas beers!
7) Alchemist Heady Topper – Hands down the best canned IPA ever, I know you’re not supposed to, but if you pour it into a glass it’s awesome to see all of the tasty goodies floating in this amazing beer!
6) Ballast Point Habanero Sculpin – I was fortunate enough to visit the Ballast Point brewery during Comic Con in San Diego this summer and their Habanero Sculpin is the PERFECT mix of heat and hopiness!
5) Avery Rumpkin – A savory rum barrel aged pumpkin beer clocking in at around 17 percent, I drank A LOT of this on tap at John Brown’s Smokehouse in my neighborhood of Long Island City, NY (A Kansas City Royals, Chiefs and KU Jayhawks bar) during the month of October when my favorite baseball team the Kansas City Royals was in the World Series!!!! This beer is more delicious than you could ever imagine!
4) Cantillon – I can’t choose one specific Cantillon, every beer they make is PERFECT! My wife and I got to enjoy our dream beer cation in Belgium this summer and we were lucky enough to visit the Cantillon brewery and drink many of their AMAZING beers which are a cross between champagne, beer, cider, and wine!
3) Three Floyds Dark Lord – I was lucky enough to host the Three Floyds beer fest Dark Lord Day in April and I drank copious amounts of Dark Lord 2014 along with their amazing beer Ham on Rye which tastes exactly as it sounds! Three Floyds’ Barnaby Struve is one of the most METAL beer guys in the business!
2) Burnt Hickory Brewing Charred Walls of the Damned Beer – I admit I’m partial to this beer because it’s named after my band (who will have a new album out in 2015!), but even if this wasn’t my band’s namesake beer I would LOVE it! A barleywine aged in Bourbon barrels, this is a Belgian style beer that you will love to sip on a cold winter’s night!
1) Duchesse De Bourgogne – This beer BLEW ME AWAY when I had it at the legendary Delerium Cafe in Brussels Belgium this past summer. To me it tastes like a beer version of Long John Silvers’ malt vinegar sauce. Before you say “What??”, you have to try it, trust me it’s amazing! With sour tastes of balsamic vinegar, this is a beer that tastes like no other and just plain RULES!