Anyone that knows anything about Charred Walls of the Damned drummer/Howard Stern contributor Richard Christy knows that October is his favorite month. Not only does it end with Halloween – the most metal of all holidays – but it also allows him to indulge in two of his favorite pasttimes: drinking pumpkin beer and watching horror movies. While he already gave us a rundown of his top pumpkin beers (we agree – Southern Tier Imperial Pumking is hands down the best), we thought we’d get his list of top five cheesy Halloween movies that didn’t involve Michael Myers (or stupid masks). You now have one week to get caught up on these classics (?), but while you’re at it, why not pick up the new Charred Walls of the Damned album, Cold Winds on Timeless Days, as well?
5. Rock ‘n Roll Nightmare – I first saw this movie when I was on tour in Europe with Death and the bass player for our opening band Benediction had an old copy on VHS that he brought. Oh my God is this movie hilarious! It stars legendary Canadian rocker Thor who moves his band into a haunted house and ends up fighting Octopus type creatures in a loincloth! Awesome!
4. Hard Rock Zombies – You gotta love a movie about a bass riff that brings the dead to life. I saw this classic on VHS many years ago and honestly haven’t seen it in a few years but I think this Halloween it will be time to revisit this cheese classic.
3. Ernest Scared Stupid – I saw Ernest Goes To Camp in the theater when I was a kid and have been a big fan ever since. This movie is pure cheesy, Halloween fun I don’t think I need to explain here why Ernest movies are cheesy, and it’s probably an aquired taste to like this movie, but growing up in Kansas, Ernest was a hero to me and my elementary school buddies.
2. Trick or Treat – How can you not love a movie that stars Skippy from Family Ties as a heavy metal loving misfit? Featuring Gene Simmons and Ozzy Osbourne, even though this movie is pretty cheesy at times, it is also very metal! There’s a band that explodes at a high school dance, and an undead rock star who shoots lightning at people! That’s pretty darned metal to me!
1. Night of the Demons – This movie RULES! The character Stooge is hilarious and the demons look amazing! Featuring the legendary scream queen Linnea Quigley and a classic scene where she inserts a tube of lipstick into one of her knockers, you cannot go wrong with this 1980’s Halloween classic!