Earlier this week, Brooklyn “sludge/gaze” band Spotlights started a two week run on the road supporting Deftones and Refused. It’s a dream come true for the two principle members, married couple Mario and Sarah Quintero. We’ve enlisted the band to write a tour diary for us chronicling their two weeks on the road. Check out the first installment here, and below, read about their first show on the tour.
August 3rd, 2016 (Day 2)
Last night was insane. It’s pretty hard to put into words, mostly because there’s too much to think about. But here are a few key moments –
1) Meeting and hanging with some of the kindest people, who also happen to be idols of ours and their crew.
2) Playing a huge, beautiful room full of attentive, excited humans.
3) Releasing energy that has been building for the last 4 months. Actually, for me, it’s been building up since I (Mario) started playing guitar at age 11. Chills and thrills aaaall night.
4) Eating a sweet buffet in a casino full of broken dreams and depleted college funds.
5) We got to stay with our bud TJ Shilling from Carved Up (Josh’s killer other band) which was a nice bonus.
6) And lastly, knowing that we get to do it 12 more times.
Overall, the night was definitely a success. A perfect start to what is hopefully beautiful beginning of the next chapter of our lives.
[photo: Lisa Boehm]